Balboa Mist is one of Benjamin Moore’s most popular neutrals. It’s a warm pale greige. Balboa Mist amplifies the light in large, open spaces creating a light and airy feel. It can be used throughout the home if you are looking for a clean, crisp and modern style to your home.
What Color is Balboa Mist?
Balboa Mist is a neutral gray paint color. It has a subtle beige to it making it a greige.
Balboa Mist is part of Benjamin Moore’s Off White Collection but it is not a white. It is a soft warm gray that has beige undertones that can look different depending on the light in your room. In north-facing light, which tends to be more blue, the paint’s purple tones will be more pronounced. This makes the paint color look more gray than beige. In Southern light, which tends to be warmer, Balboa Mist can look more beige than gray.
Balboa Mist has an LRV of 65.53, which means it will lighten and brighten a room, but add subtle color. The paint color is part of Benjamin Moore’s Off White Collection.
This number ranges between 1 and 100. LRV is measured on a scale that ranges from zero (absolute black, absorbing all light and heat) to 100 percent (pure white, reflecting all light). Building and design professionals (everyone from architects and engineers to interior designers and color consultants) use these measurements as guidelines to predict how light or dark a color will appear.
The values are also used by lighting designers to calculate the number and type of light fixtures needed to provide a certain amount of light for interior spaces.
For contrast, Edgecomb Gray by Benjamin Moore has an LRV of 63.88.
What Colors go with Balboa Mist?
This paint really goes with almost any color. Here are a few classic paint color choices. All are Benjamin Moore paint colors. This paint color is so versatile, it can really be a showcase to any accent colors. From the moody and dramatic tones to the light bright shades. Shop the Color Amazing Etsy store for instantly downloadable whole home paint palettes. They have ideas on how to create a cohesive look to your home. There are paint color specific palettes and home style specific palettes for sale.
- Hale Navy
- Chantilly lace
- Boothbay Gray
- River Reflections
- Wrought Iron
- Knoxville Gray
- October Mist
Balboa Mist Bathroom
Balboa Mist opens up a space, especially a small powder room or full bathroom. It gives you a neutral backdrop to go glam or boho or both. If you want to paint it and forget it, Balboa Mist is the paint color for you.
Balboa Mist Bedroom
In the bedroom, Balboa Mist has a soothing effect. It is a great paint color to use for minimalist look. In north-facing light, this paint color will look more gray.
Balboa Mist Equivalent Sherwin Williams, Behr and more
|Paint Brand||Paint Color Name|
|Farrow & Ball||Ammonite|
Balboa Mist for Open Floor Plans
Balboa Mist is a versatile color that accentuates open-plan homes and suits many design styles, from farmhouse to modern or coastal decor. This warm neutral gray pairs well with rustic finishes such as weathered wood. This neutral paint color is a match for large common spaces in your home such as the living room, dining room, kitchen and den.
Trim with Chantilly Lace, to provide a crisp contrast between walls and trim color and bring out its color depth. Use a soft off-white trim color such as White Dove or Sherwin Williams Alabaster to enhance Balboa Mist’s warm undertones.
Balboa Mist is ideal for open floor plans, and for use as an overall color to unite adjoining spaces. It is a cozy paint color and warmer than Calm and lighter than the similar but darker Edgecomb Gray.
Lighting and Balboa Mist
Lighting or the directional lighting of a room can greatly impact the way the paint color looks. Color, after all, is how light reflects off of pigments. As the sun travels through the sky each day, the light intensity and tone changes. Here are a few things to keep in mind about directional light in a room.
- North-facing rooms – North-facing rooms tend to look cooler and blueish in tone because the light itself is cool and not as intense. Lighter paint colors that are on the lighter side will appear muted. Dark colors will be more vibrant.
- South-facing rooms– South-facing rooms, on the other hand, have consistent warm light throughout the day. The light intensifies colors, so darker colors appear brighter and softer hues gleam.
- West-facing rooms- Light intensity and tone change throughout the day. Light is cooler in the morning and warmer or brighter in the evening.
- East-facing rooms– Light is warmer or brighter in the mornings and cooler in the afternoon/evenings.
Balboa Mist vs Pale Oak
- BM Pale Oak is cooler-toned than Balboa
- Pale Oak has an LRV of 69.89 which is a bit higher than Balboa’s LRV of 67.37
- Pale Oak is a smidge lighter than Balboa.
- Both have a chance of shifting or flashing lavender in certain lighting
- Pale Oak may also shift or flash to a peachy color
Balboa Mist vs Edgecomb Gray
- Edgecomb Gray HC-173 is the warmer paint color of the two.
- Edgecomb had an LRV of which is a bit lower than Balboa’s LRV of 65.53
- Balboa Mist is more on the gray side compared to Edgecomb Gray
- Edgecomb Gray is a bit more saturated of a paint color.
Balboa Mist vs Agreeable Gray
- Sherwin Williams Agreeable Gray is more cool-toned of the 2 colors.
- Agreeable Gray has an LRV of 60, which is lower than Balboa at 65.53
- Agreeable is the darker of the colors
- Both colors are very versatile to use throughout your home.
- in certain lighting conditions, Agreeable Gray has the potential to flash green and Balboa Mist can flash purple.
READ MORE: AGREEABLE GRAY COLOR REVIEW
Review Of Balboa Mist
- Has an LRV of 65.53
- it’s considered a soft, light warm gray paint color
- it’s a chameleon of a paint color and will look different in certain lighting
- it’s one of Benjamin Moore’s best-selling neutral paint colors
- looks great with blues
- also works beautifully with a crisp white trim
What are the Most Popular Paint Colors for Benjamin Moore?
These are the top 10 most popular colors from Benjamin Moore.
White Dove OC 17
Chantilly Lace OC 65
Cloud White OC 40
White Heron OC 57
Swiss Coffee OC 45
Classic Gray OC 23
Pale Oak OC 20
Gray Owl OC 52